Contract Technical Writer
An open invitation to anyone who values the human experience.Looking for your next chapter or the start of an extraordinary journey? Come to ONEIL, where hundreds of individuals unite to create new ways of making product support information better. Here, you will do more than join a team – you’ll add value to our customers’ most valuable products and turn user experience into a human experience.
We bring amazing people together to make product support solutions easier to use, reimagining the way humans interact with information, technology, and software. We are a diverse collective of thinkers and doers, continuously striving to improve how product information is created, documented, and used.
This drive is what keeps us up at night. And if it sounds like your calling, then call us. Tell us why we need you. Better yet, help us help others.
Join our company where the employee experience is as innovative as the customers and products we support. For every solution we deliver, we consider the impact on the customer, the end user, and our legacy. As the premier provider of product support solutions, our mission is to make equipment safer to use, faster to repair, and easier to maintain.
And we won’t stop until we are the most trusted resource for product support solutions to equipment manufacturers.
If you are looking for a career change and are mechanically inclined and ready to work, we’ll train you to become a Technical Writer with no experience necessary!
The Technical Writer takes complex, technical information and translates it into an easily understandable format per customer guidelines. This person will work closely with experienced writers and other employees to interpret contractual specifications, engineering drawings, reports, and other data to help produce technical documentation. This role interfaces with customer and/or customers’ representatives throughout project, as required.
- Write technical documents/manuals according to customer specifications.
- Complete assignments according to company policies and procedures.
- Research existing data to maximize use of previously developed text and/or illustrations.
- Draft text materials to ensure text and illustrations are completed and coordinated per final product requirements.
- Document and archive technical data over long periods in an efficient, established method to aid in future related projects.
- Track and record time spent on projects.
- Communicate work status and needs for more information or technical procedures to management.
- Complete assigned tasks according to established deadlines, customer specifications, and company policies and procedures.
- Perform any other job-related instructions, as requested with reasonable accommodation.
- General office environment; required to use office equipment (company computer, telephone/smartphone, photocopier); required to sit/stand for long periods of time.
- May be required to work in a shop or manufacturing facility; exposure to hazardous chemicals and/or bloodborne pathogens is possible; noise level may be high in shop or manufacturing facility.
- May be required to work on heavy equipment and/or heavy-duty vehicles to perform duties and responsibilities; required to sit, stand, bend, kneel and lie down; may require lifting up to 50 pounds.
- May be required (on short notice) to work overtime/additional hours to meet deadlines; may occasionally require working weekends and/or holidays, as needed.
- May be required to travel by motor vehicle and/or airplane to complete job requirements; estimated to be less than five (5) percent; limited projects may require travel to up to 50 percent.
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required.
- Associate degree in a technical or mechanical field or equivalent work experience is required.
- Zero to two (0-2) years of experience in a mechanical, technical, or writing field having completed complex technical documents, including organizing the document and working with internal and external personnel (e.g., agencies, customer).
- Basic level of proficiency with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel is preferred.
- Basic proficiency with desktop publishing tools is preferred.
- Basic technical knowledge of mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, electronic, and/or aeronautical systems is preferred.
- Basic knowledge of related fields, including illustrating, provisioning, and logistic support analysis is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license in state of residency with acceptable driving record is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Remove and install mechanical and electrical parts on small to large vehicle systems.
- Stay organized and process work packages appropriately.
- Write and edit clear, concise text.
- Interpret engineering drawings.
- Prepare various media types, such as photos, models, or drawings, to prepare illustration requirements; prepare illustration mark-ups.
- Become familiar with customer’s product line.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill at performing job responsibilities.
- Be self-directed, be resourceful, and demonstrate creativity to meet job objectives and propose innovative ideas.
- Follow established company policies and procedures and customer guidelines.
- Follow through on assignments and maintain a high level of integrity.
- Communicate effectively with internal and external personnel according to company guidelines and communicate project status to internal and external personnel.
- Work proactively and efficiently to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Work independently and within a team to accomplish tasks and meet deadlines.
Knowledge of mechanical concepts.
Pay: $15.00 – $20.00 per hour